Potassium Iodide Benefits
Most casualties in a nuclear accident or explosion are caused by radioactive iodine poisoning of the thyroid gland. Children are the most at risk. Potassium iodide is a thyroid blocker that deals with radiation emergencies. Taking potassium iodide before exposure reduces the threat by 95 percent.
A large number of reports indicate that the use of stable iodine immediately before or after the intake of radioactive iodine can prevent radioactive iodine from entering the thyroid or reduce the accumulation of radioactive iodine in the thyroid. Timely use of potassium iodide can help prevent thyroid cancer and other diseases. Otherwise, exposure to radioactive iodine, which leaks out of a nuclear accident and spreads through the air, could cause the disease.
By using iodide, nearly all (>90%) of the radioactive iodine likely to be ingested by the thyroid gland can be blocked, according to the report. In 1978, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found that the use of potassium iodide was "safe and effective" in radiological emergencies and approved its sale as an over-the-counter (OTC) drug.
Related Products Wiki
- January 29, 2019Before the summer heat arrives at Nanjing, 2018 NCMC sports meeting is held on 27th May with the purpose of enriching the amateur life of employees as well as enhancing team cooperation.This sports me...view
- January 29, 20192018 Sept.19th-21st @Shanghai New International Expo CentreThe 21th China International Adhesives and Sealants Exhibition & the 13th China International PSA Tape and Label Expo (CHINA ADHESIVE 201...view
- January 30, 2018POC2017 Palm &Lauric Oils Price Outlook Conference & Exhibition 6-8 March 2017 Kuala LumpurThe renowned Palm and Lauric Oils Price Outlook Conference & Exhibition (POC) is held a...view
- January 30, 2018September 21-23, 2017 Beijing·China International Exhibition CenterAs the most professional, authoritative and largest international exhibition in China lubricant industry, China International Lubr...view
- January 29, 2019June 5th, 2018On the 47th World Environment Day, June 5 th, a large public service activity, "Green City, Green Development" is held in the square of Nanjing Dujiang Victory War Memorial Hall. The the...view
- January 29, 2019June 20th-21th@ Cologne, GermanyAs one of the largest fine and speciality chemical exhibition in the world, Chemspec 2018 was staged during June 20th-21st 2018 at Cologne, Germany. This year's exhibit...view